[Answerkey] UPSC Prelim-2016: History, Culture, International Relation, Defense MCQs solved with ExplanationsDEVENDRA VISHWAKARMA
- Pattern: History and Culture: 2016’s Prelim vs. the Past
- Road ahead for History-Culture
- Solved: Freedom Struggle (6 MCQs)
- Solved: Culture/Ancient/Medieval (11 MCQs)
- Pattern: IR-Defense-PIN- 2016 vs the past
- Road Ahead: IR / Defense for Prelims-2017
- Solved: International relations (IR) & Diplomacy MCQs
- Solved: Defense MCQ
- Solved: Persons in News (PIN) MCQ
Pattern: History and Culture: 2016’s Prelim vs. the Past
|2015 and earlier||2016 UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam|
|Freedom struggle easy to moderate level questions.||
|1 MCQ on which movement led to split among Moderates vs. Extermist. (Ans was Swadeshi)||It seems, UPSC’s gramophone has stuck on this track. this time two MCQ- 1) why split 2) Swadeshi & Boycott started from?|
|Cabinet Mission asked.||Cripss Mission asked|
|From economic history of British raj, they’ve been asking moderate to tough level MCQs especially in CAPF and CDS.||Thankfully nothing from this side.|
|Tough question about rock cut monuments.
4. With reference to the art and archaeo logical history of India, which one among the following was made earliest?
(a) Lingaraja Temple at Bhubneshwar
(b) Rock-cut Elephant at Dhauli
(c) Rock-cut Monuments at Mahabalipuram
(d) varaha Image at Udayagiri
|Since 2013, every year they ask minimum one MCQ on rock cut. This time moderate level
40. What is/are common to the two historical places known as Ajanta and Mahabalipuram?
1. Both were built in the same period.
2. Both belong to the same religious denomination.
3. Both have rock-cut monuments.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) None of the statements given above is correct
|2014: medieval dictionary type MCQs
||This time, examiner’s “PREM” for Medieval dictionary, is border lining that of a lunatic.
||Three such questions about occupational caste/tribe/nomad
|1 MCQ on Vijaynagar establishment by Harihar||1 MCQ on Vijaynagar taxation under Krishna Development|
|In 2013, 14, they used to ask tough MCQs from Vedanta and philosophical things.||Thankfully nothing from that side.|
If I spend more time observing the papers, I could come up with more similarities and continuities. But let’s not waste the remainder of our jawaani on this single matter…The conclusion is- 2016’s History-Culture is more akin to 2014’s prelims rather than 2015.
Road ahead for History-Culture
- Good number of culture/medieval MCQs were from non-traditional topics within (New) NCERTs. You should prepare them, with changed glasses.
- Out of 17 MCQs on History-Culture in Prelims-2016, only 5 MCQs are ‘out of book’. Remainder things given in the (new) NCERT, NIOS, Lucent, Spectrum, Pratik Nayak’s Lecture series. Hence they should form the ‘core’ area of preparation.
- But it doesn’t mean 17-5=12 MCQs can be correctly ticked in actual exam. Because in culture-medieval portion very trivial factual information’s asked e.g. Malvikanimtriam is love story of Pushyamitra Sunga’s son. This is given in Lucent GK but who has time to memorize so many details.
- So beyond a point, marginal utility turns negative. You could spent that much time in Economy, environment – and tick more.
Solved: Freedom Struggle (6 MCQs)
24. The `Swadeshi’ and ‘Boycott’ were adopted as methods of struggle for the first time during the
(a) agitation against the Partition of Bengal
(b) Home Rule Movement
(c) Non-Cooperation Movement
(d) visit of the Simon Commission to India
Pratik Nayak’s Lecture HFS7/P7: Swadeshi and Boycott started against Partition of Bengal in 1905. Let’s crosscheck other options as well:
(b) Home Rule Movement: 1916 it started, the demand was of ‘home rule’
(c) Non-Cooperation Movement: 1919, after Gandhi arrived, against removal of khalifa, Punjab wrongs and swaraj
(d) visit of the Simon Commission to India: 1928