[Strategy] UPSC Civil Service Exam (Part 4 of 5): Time Management, Coaching, optional subjectsDevendra Vishwakarma
- Act IV: Conquering your own brain
- Doubt: Should I join coaching class or not?
- Option one: You study back home without Coaching
- Option two : You go to Delhi to attend coaching.
- If You join a class
- #1 don’t take mock tests lightly
- #2 Classmates are not your enemies
- #3 clarify your doubts
- #4 follow up action immediately
- #5 Never remain absent
- If you don’t join a class
- #1: don’t feel guilty
- #2: Self control
- #3: Company
- Doubt: Optional subjects will be removed or not?
- Doubt Hindi Medium aspirant
- Doubt Non-Hindi, Non-English Medium aspirant
- Doubt: Inferiority complex
- Future Candidates Still in College
- Doubt: Taking a job / PG
- Doubt: Working Professionals: Leave the job or not?
- #A: you leave the job
- #B: you can’t leave the job
- #1: Rent a room close to office
- #2: Burn the midnight lamp
- #3 Use pendrive
- #4 Use mobile
- Time Management
- Mood swings
- Technical doubts
Act IV: Conquering your own brain
- You already know the mindset of your enemy: Act I
- you already know the weapons required to defeat him: Act II
- you already know how to effectively utilize the weapons: Act III
but before you defeat him, you must conquer your own brain, cleanse it from all the doubts and weaknesses. Else you cannot concentrate in studies. The first and foremost doubt, faced by every new player:
Doubt: Should I join coaching class or not?
Answer is: If you’ve the time, money and mood, join them, else don’t feel guilty or inferior about it.
I’m copy pasting the Cost comparision by Mr.Gokul G R (IAS, AIR 19, CSE-2010)
Option one: You study back home without Coaching
1. General Studies
- Books : Rs. 3000 – 4000
- Newspapers : Rs. 250 monthly ( Total : 6000 for 2 years; you will anyway subscribe, whether you are preparing or not)
- Periodicals : around 1500
- Internet Net connection : 250 per month ( Total : 6000; you will anyway subscribe, whether you are preparing or not)
- Total Cost : Around 17000 ( over 2 years )
- Total Extra cost : Rs. 6000 maximum (minus newspaper and net )
- Books: 4-5 books for humanities optionals ( Mostly Indian Authors). Total cost : Not more than Rs. 3000.
- 7-8 books for science optionals. Total cost: Not more than Rs. 5000 ( If you are not downloading pirated copies).
- Total Extra cost : Rs. 14000 ( Highly liberal estimate and spend over 2 years). Use library, old books and you can bring that down to a few thousand rupess.
Option two : You go to Delhi to attend coaching.
1. Coaching fees :
- G.S : Rs, 50,000
- Optionals : Rs. 30,000 each
- Total : Rs. 1,10,000 (spot payment)
2. Periodicals, newspapers, net for personal use : Rs. 13,000 over 2 years.
3. High rent and cost of living : Around 10k every month.
Total extra Cost : Around 3 Lakhs ( Conservative estimate; multiply with no.of failed attempts, extra fee for extra coaching etc).
And even after paying such huge, exorbitant costs, the quality of teaching ( as i get to know from fellow aspirants) may not always be up to the mark.
–End of copy paste.
If You join a class
Types of coaching class sirs
|Type of teacher||Your action|
||Keep noting down whatever he says- atleast in ‘summery’ form. Even if it given in the books, note down because that will help you in quick revision.|
||Curse yourself that you joined his class.Make friends with some serious players in his class and do group study/discussion.|
||Just note down any important fact/fodder material, else Curse yourself that you joined his class.|
In case you wonder why Type#2 teacher behaves in such bad way, Won’t it hurt his long term business prospects?
- No it won’t. He’d simply setup shop in a new city or change his brand name. Besides, people usually don’t drag him to consumer court, so he never changes his ways.
- And he’s good at marketing tricks, so he’d keep getting new sacrificial lambs every year.
And never join a coaching class only because the ad says XYZ topper was from their class, such ads are usually false or half-truths!