[Science] Nirbhay, NAG, NAMICA, Helina, LAHAT, Tropex-2012, RISAT, SPOT-6, Project, Glass and GlivecDevendra Vishwakarma
Some more Important Science and Tech topics for General Studies.
- Shoor Veer
- National Large Solar Telescope (NLST)
- RISAT 1
- ISRO’s 100th mission
- Project Glass
- sub-sonic cruise missile
- Nirbhay is India’s equivalent of Tomahawk, a long-range, sub-sonic cruise missile, developed by the U.S.
- developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- will travel at a sub-sonic speed (less than the speed of sound).
- ‘fire and forget’ anti-tank missile.
- can destroy enemy tanks four km away
- Nag Missile Carrier
- It is a vehicle to carry and launch NAG missles.
- the helicopter-fired version of Nag.
- Helina =Helicopter + Nag
- Laser Homing Attack or Laser Homing Anti-Tank missile
- anti-tank missile, will be used in the upgraded Arjun battle tanks.
- theatre-level readiness and operational exercise
- conducted by the Indian Navy
- To test new platforms, weapons sensors, communication systems and tactics in order to optimise the network combat power of the fleet.
- Do you recall JIMEX? If not go to www.mrunal.org/diplomacy
- Combat exercise in the Thar Desert in 2012
- To test Army’s operational readiness to undertake swift multiple thrusts across the border.
- Army and IAF tested new battle fighting concepts with real time pictures of the battle zone provided to a centralized command using fighter jets, unmanned aerial vehicles and attack helicopters
National Large Solar Telescope (NLST)
- world’s largest solar telescope
- set up by the Department of Science and Technology, in Ladakh.
- aims to study the sun’s microscopic structure
- RISAT 1 is India’s first radar imaging satellite
- It can scan the earth surface during both day and night under all weather condition.
- It will help in paddy monitoring and management of natural disaster like flood and cyclone.
ISRO’s 100th mission
- Using PSLV-C21 rocket, ISRO launched two foreign satellites
- SPOT 6: French satellite
- Proiteres: Japanese micro satellite
- From Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh
- a research and development program by Google.
- resembles a pair of normal eyeglasses where the lens is replaced by a heads-up display.
- Project Glass is a wearable computer that provides information not through a screen, but rather through your “eyes.”
- It gives you data about your surroundings without the need to whip out your smartphone and know what to search.
- For example, if you go into a bookstore, Google Glass will be able to provide you with an indoor map of the place, and lead you to your desired book.
- blood cancer drug
- Novartis is fighting a patent case in India for this drug.
- Treatment of Glivec costs Rs.1,20,000 per month per patient. But Novartis maintains they give it free of cost to the needy patients.
For more Science and Tech 2 markers, visit the Archive: mrunal.org/science