[Science] Answerkey for Mock Questions set by Tushar (Science & Tech Portion only)Devendra Vishwakarma
Few days, I had uploaded the Mock Questions for GS Paper II framed by Tushar. (Click ME)
He has provided the answerkeykey for mock questions for “Science & Tech” portion of that question paper. Here it goes,
- Modified Embaraer EMB 145I aircraft.
- Accelerated Technology Assessment and Commercialization (ATAC)
- Project Ahaar / BASIX-AAHAR
- HuGaMMA Report.
- London Declaration on Neglected Tropical Diseases. (NTD)
- Sevottam Model.
- OVR SagarNidhi
- Mobile Based Crime and incident reporting platform (MCIRP)
- Low Temperature Thermal Desalination (LTTD)
- ASTROSAT and its instrumentation.
- Bio Toilet
- The Defense Institute of High Altitude Research (DIHAR)
- In Vitro meat.
- Difference between 3G and LTE mobile technology.
- Difference between the CMOS and CCD image sensors.
- Tandem Solar Cell and its advantages.
- Gratzel Solar cell and its characteristics.
- Nuclear Powered Crops.
- Hydroponics and its potential advantages.
- Curiosity rover
- TARA’s expedition
- Saturated Fats
- Pebble Reactor.
- Generations of the Nuclear Reactors.
- Trophy Molecules
- Leap second and Y2K bug
- Colony Collapse Disorder and its implications.
- GHB’s function in human brain
- Date rape drug.
- Foot and Mouth Diseases (FMDs) Vaccine
- Gnathiid isopods and coral bleaching.
- Transient Elastography
- Adulterated milk: testing problem
- NASA’s Kepler Mission
- Ballast water management convention (BWM convention).
- What is Dirty fishing?
- Environmental side effects of the Deep Sea Trawling.
- Deep sea Trawl: advantages
- Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs)
- How nitrous fertilizers contributes to the Global Warming?
- Uncany Valley in the Robotic Science.
- Greenpeace Report on Bt-Brinjal.
- Deep sea challenger.
- Solar Impulse.
- Flame and Stuxnet.
- Karspersky Lab.
- Sector33- an iOS application from NASA.
- Voager1 and Voager2
- A*star institute of technology.
- Google’s X Lab
- Superblooms/North Atlantic Blooms
- N-u star telescope.
- Coral Bleaching.
- White Nose Syndrome.
- Human Connectome Project
- North Atlantic Bloom
- Foundation B612 (Near earth Objects)
- Lab on Chip
- SeaFox-underwater drone.
- Soyuz Rocket
- Aerostat Balloon at Florida Naval Air Station.
- IRVE-3 by NASA
- Fire Fly Cubesat satellite by NASA.
- National Year of Mathematics
- US Antarctic Blue Ribbon Panel.
- Spin Organic LED
- High Resolution Coronal imager (Hi-C) telescope.
- Cluster beans (Guar) Gum and its industrial applications.
- AirBus A350
- Radio Tracking of Animals: 3 types
Modified Embaraer EMB 145I aircraft.
- It is a result of India’s long standing quest to have full functional Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEWCS).
- Embaraer EMB 145 are the aircrafts provided by Brazil onto which the AEWCS is being fitted.
- AEWCS has been totally designed by DRDO CABS (Center for Airborne System) facilities at Bangalore.
- Its primary missions include airspace management, fighter positioning and intercept control, signals intelligence, and support for maritime, borders, and Exclusive Economic Zones surveillance and security.
- With this, very soon India will be in the group of nations which have their own operational AEWCS.
Accelerated Technology Assessment and Commercialization (ATAC)
Under this program, three organizations have came together
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO),
- BASIX – a Social Enterprise Group,
- Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI)
to collaborate on long term basis to develop and execute viable and scalable models for commercialization of the technologies developed by DRDO with the specific intent of developing and enhancing livelihoods.
Project Ahaar / BASIX-AAHAR
- Recently they (^FCCI_DRDO) have launched a project called “Aahaar”.
- Aahaar is a hygienic, nutritious and convenient meal that tastes fresh yet has longer shelf life, that is tasty yet quick to serve.
- Roti has a shelf life of 15 days and the two variants of dal have a shelf life of 12 months.
Hunger and Malnutrition Report (Refer Economic Survey 2012)
It is e-governance project of Ministry of Corporate affairs through which all corporate related services are being provided on the online platform with a liberal procedures.
London Declaration on Neglected Tropical Diseases. (NTD)
- The main problem associated with the NTDs is, NTDs are mostly confined to the Asian and African countries out of which most of them are least developed. Health burden because of the NTDs is tremendous.
- WHO has designed a target to eliminate the most of the NTDs by 2020.
- London Declaration of 2012 is a mile stone in this endeavor.
- First time, many big Pharma companies and NGOs have come together and made a commitment to raise the required resources to eradicate at least 10 deadliest diseases by end of the decade.
- This is the initiative of the government towards the Citizen Centric Adminsitration and providing the quality services to the Citizens.
- It includes ISO certification of the service provider, Citizen Charters, E-governance, effective implementation of the RTI to enhance accountability.
- Sagar Nidhi a state of art ice-class research vessel can accommodate 30 scientists with endurance of 45 days.
- This is an Ice-class research vessel adopted with Dynamic Positioning System will keep its position stable, which is required for oceanographic research.
- It has a huge deck area for deploying ROV/Manned submersibles/ Tsunami monitoring system
Mobile Based Crime and incident reporting platform (MCIRP)
- MCIRP is funded by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and is exclusive to NIA for tackling crimes and prevent acts of terrorism.
- This is a step towards the utilization of mobile technology to curb the criminal activities. This has been launched in July 2012.
Low Temperature Thermal Desalination (LTTD)
- Developed by National institute of Ocean Technology.
- One of the key research area of this institute is the conversion of the sea water into regular domestic usable water.
- There are variety of desalination process, one of them is a specific process called LTTD. The concept of the variation in the ocean water temperature with an increase in depth is used in the Low Temperature Thermal Desalination (LTTD) to flash evaporate the warm water at low pressure and condense the resulting vapour with the deep sea cold water. Starting from a small laboratory based 5m3/day capacity scale model, the group has successfully commissioned one 100m3/day capacity land based plant at Kavaratti and one 1000m3/day capacity floating barge based desalination plant off the coast of Chennai.
ASTROSAT and its instrumentation.
- ASTROSAT will be a multi-wavelength astronomy mission on an IRS-class satellite in a 650-km, near-equatorial orbit.
- It is currently scheduled to be launched by the Indian launch vehicle PSLV from the Sriharikota launch centre in 2012.
- The expected operating life time of the satellite will be five years. There were five payloads on the launching vehicle.
- Designed by DRDO and especially bacteria used.
- It is invisible to the naked eye and originated in the uninhabitable climes of Antarctica. This humble bacteria — known as Psychrophile — holds the potential to solve India’s sanitation problem in the years to come.
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is using these bacteria for the bio-digester technology it developed for disposal of human waste in an eco-friendly manner.
- DRDO has already tied up with the Indian Railways for bio-toilets on trains.
The Defense Institute of High Altitude Research (DIHAR)
- It aims to invent new varieties of vegetables and fruits that can be grown in high altitudes and in cold deserts such as Ladakh.
- Year 2012 is mile stone in their endeavor. DIHAR has entered the Limca Book of Records for making possible the production of 78 varieties of vegetables at the frigid heights of Ladakh.
Reservetrol is a natural compound found in many of the food articles like red grapes and red wine. Recent studies have proved that it is very helpful to prevent cancer cell growth, the CVDs and diabetes. It has also proved as life span enhancer for some of the organisms.
In Vitro meat.
- It is lab grown meat with the help of tissue.
- A particular part of the animal is being developed in the lab and then it can be used for human consumption.
- This invention holds a key for future food security. Apart from this, during long voyages in the space as well.
Difference between 3G and LTE mobile technology.
- 3G and LTE are the mobile network technology characterized by their speed and method of data transfer. As per UN Telecom Union the data transfer rate for 3G is 2Mbps in stationary and 384 kbps in mobility.
- Similarly for LTE (4G) is 1Gbps and 100Mbps respectively.
- However, the stark difference between two is, 3G uses the switching between data and calling functions whereas LTE/4G is totally based on Data i.e even calling is also performed over data transfer. Therefore mobile handset requirements are totally different for both.
|1G||Analog||14.4 Kbps||AMPs, WMT,TACS|
|2G||Digital Cellular||14.4 Kbps||TDMA, GSM, CDMA|
|2.5G||Packet data on 2G||20-40 Kbps||GPRS|
|3G||Digital Broadband packet data||Max 3.1 Mbps, 500-700 Kbps (avg)||CDMA EVDO, UMTS, EDGE|
|3.5G||High Speed Packet Access||Max 14.4 Mbps, 1.3 Mbps (avg)||HSPA|
|4G||Digital Broadband (All IP)||100-300 Mbps (Max), 3.6 Mbps (Avg)||WiMax, LTE, WiFi|
Difference between the CMOS and CCD image sensors.
Both are used in cameras.
|Complemenary metal oxide semiconductor||Charge Couple Devic|
|compact in size, require less power and find application in many compact digital cameras and mobile phones. It captures the image in the form of pixels of different colors. Therefore, pixel size is important for image quality||While capturing the image it converts the data into analog electrical charges therefore the quality of the image is preserved.|
Nowadays combination of both the technologies is used in professional cameras.
Tandem Solar Cell and its advantages.
- The basic problem with Solar cells is, they have very less energy conversion efficiency (less than 10%). This is because; solar cell responses to a particular band of the wavelength in the Solar radiation.
- Tandem solar cell uses a different combination of solar cells to capture all radiation within the solar radiation. As a result it gives higher conversion efficiency.
- At present Tandem solar cell has achieved 10.6% of efficiency which has been certified by US dept of National Renewable Energy Laboratory. (I don’t know the year)
Gratzel Solar cell and its characteristics.
- Again the same problem of efficiency has been addressed here.
- This invention has got Millenium Technology Prize in 2010 for achieving highest efficiency ever of above 10%.
- This has been invented by a Chinese scientist MickelGratzel. Speaking of about its characteristics.
- It harvests the solar energy by virtue of color.It is called as die sensitized solar cells.
- The concept was inspired from the wings of the butterfly.
Nuclear Powered Crops.
These are genetically modified crops. The only difference is that the genetic modification is performed by the Particle Accelerometer like CERN. ( I don’t remember the news that came in somewhere in April/June)
Hydroponics and its potential advantages.
- This is modern agricultural practice in which instead of soil, water with all required nutrients is used to grow plants. This can be termed as a clean practice.
- The potential advantages can be find in the urban areas where there is scarcity of land.
- There people can grow fruits and vegetables in the buildings. (There was a big article in one of the YOJANA)
Much touted news of recent time. Everybody knows.
TARA was the group of scientist, an NGO, based in France, later absorbed in UN.