[Answerkey] UPSC Prelim-2016: Polity, Science-Tech MCQs Solved with explanations for all CSAT Sets A, B, C and DDevendra Vishwakarma
- Science-Tech: Compared to Last year
- Road-ahead for Science-Tech preparation
- Sci-Tech: ICT related
- Sci-Tech: Space Mission
- Sci-Tech: Medicine Related
- Polity: Compared to last year
- Road ahead for Polity
- Polity: The Union & Parliament
- Polity: State and Local Administration
- Polity: Yearbook and Misc. Type
Science-Tech: Compared to Last year
|2015 (total 9 MCQs)||2016 (total 10 MCQs)|
|Medicine: three MCQs
||Medicine, Public Health: four MCQs
||Space-Nuke-Physics tech: focused towers factual / low-profile news items hence bit difficult.
||ICT prem-continues, albeit easy and straight forward questions:
Not much point in comparing with CSAT-2014, because that year, mostly direct theory type questions from NCERTs and GS Manuals. So, in history culture, CSAT-2016 follows 2014 patterns but in science tech it follows 2015 pattern.
Road-ahead for Science-Tech preparation
- From above table, we can see that weight and pattern wise, there is not much change between 2015 and 2016 papers. But the science tech portion looks tedious because 1) more time was spent in preparation of polity and geography 2) some of the questions are from low-profile/factual type news.
- Although nothing asked from NCERT science-textbooks (except Virus Question). You should begin preparation from there- even for worst case it’ll come handy for SSC-CGL and state services exams.
- TheHindu should form the ‘core’ for Science-Tech current preparation. Although beyond a point cost: benefit declines e.g. this time UPSC asked weigh of Astrosat; but not possible to memorize weight other dozen satellites for next year’s prelims!
- Yojana and Kurukshetra should also come handy- but you’ve to read them ‘issue wise’. For example, this year May-2016 Kurukshetra had really good material on clean energy technology- for both prelims and mains. Similarly there is coverage of IPR, grassroot innovation, Ayush-Public healthcare etc. in either of the magazines at regular interval.
Sci-Tech: ICT related
10. ‘Project Loon’, sometimes seen in the news, is related to
(a) waste management technology
(b) wireless communication technology
(c) solar power production technology
(d) water conservation technology
Mrunal’s GS3 Mains-2014 revision article – as you can see, this is two mains old topic. Not just in science-tech, practically in every topic they’ve done this- asking stuff that occurred one or two mains ago.
80. With reference to ‘Li-Fi’, recently in the news, which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. It uses light as the medium for high-speed data transmission.
2. It is a wireless technology and is several times faster than ‘WiFi’.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Li-fi gives data transfer rate of 10 gigabytes per second. So 1st statement is right.
- Li-Fi device circulates data via LEDs that emit an intermittent flicker at a speed imperceptible to the human eye. So, 2nd statement also right.
Ref: theHindu OR Indianexpress , Feb 2016.
Sci-Tech: Space Mission
22. What is ‘Greased Lightning-10 (GL-10)’, recently in the news?
(a) Electric plane tested by NASA
(b) Solar-powered two-seater aircraft designed by Japan
(c) Space observatory launched by China
(d) Reusable rocket designed by ISRO