Mock Interview Questions for UPSC IAS/IPS Civil Service Exam 2017 and : Tenure of VP, RPA-PCA-Sasikala, Judicial Overreach, Campaign ManagerDEVENDRA VISHWAKARMA
- Vice President as President?
- Governor’s Power
- Campaign manager
- Election Commission related
- Freedom of Expression
- Judicial overreach
- Polity: Sasikala, RPA, PCA
- Like any other daily wage laborer, I find seasonal employment as mock interview panelist after declaration of UPSC Civil Services Mains result.
- Here is the partial compilation of the questions for this year, from polity and Constitution:
Vice President as President?
Q.Who is Dilma Rouseff?
Ans.Sir, she is the president of Brazil.
Q.”is” or “was”?
Ans. sorry sir. She was president and then impeached on charges of corruption.
Q. In some countries, if president is impeached or dies, then VP becomes president for remaining term. Do you think we should do it in India, to save cost of election? Should we have similar system in India? It’ll save cost of re-election before expiry of tenure, after all, president or VP is having a ceremonial role?
Ans. Yes sir, definitely, we should do it. [MISTAKE jumping to good conclusion. Because in India, electoral collage of President and VP are separate. President represents states also.]
- During election season, state governments pass bills to legalize residential encroachment to gain vote bank of the people living in illegal colonies. If you’re governor and such bill is passed by SLA what will you do?
- Preet Bharara is a US Attorney appointed by President Obama. After Trump became president, he ordered Preet to resign, but Preet did not, so he was fired. Suppose you’re a governor in any state and after general election, a new political party comes at centre and the new home minister conveys via his Secretary over the phone to resign, will you do it or not?
- In a speech, PM Modi asked Governors to act as catalyst agents of national development. Given that Governor is mostly a ceremonial head, how can he do this? [Hint: administrator of Scheduled areas, Speeches as VC, during his at-home program on 26th January and 15th August he can invite and honor citizens who’ve done some good work for the community etc.]
Q. Who is Prashant Kishor?
Ans. He is an election campaign manager/strategist.
Q. Campaign managers are hired in developed countries, do you think it’s a good sign for Indian democracy?
Ans. Yes sir definitely. [MISTAKE, he’s jumping to good conclusion without taking pause for 3-4 seconds to think this over..and now starts the grilling]
Q. Prashant Kishor helped Modi in 2014 General Election and JDU in 2015-16 Bihar election but then failed in UP election to help Congress Win. Don’t you think he’s like a wedding event manager without ideological loyalty, and doing this activity for money? Don’t you think hiring such consultants further raises the cost of election for parties and after winning, party will try to recover the cost by indulging in corruption?
Q. Who is Irom Sharmila, why did she get only 90 votes? As friend, would you have advised her to hire a campaign manager?
Ans.No sir. [MISTAKE, now grilling starts.]
Q.Irom Sharmila was defeated for her inability to mobilize resources and reach people in effective manner. She did not have election experience like BJP/Congress persons have. So, Irom should have hired a manager. Don’t you think so?
Q. What is the skillset of an election campaign manager? He may also have to do backdoor negotiation and secret-alliances with other parties, yes? Then Who will make a better campaign manager- a retired IAS or retired IFS?
Ans. unsatisfactory. Common Mistake is- if candidate has given first preference to IFS, he’ll say IFS. But, it depends on nature of work – IFS may be away from grassroots political structure, unlike an IAS from the given state-cadre.
Election Commission related
Q. Tell me something about contempt of court?