Polity Current Affairs: NEET Exam Ordinance, Double Dissolutionadmin
- #1: Election Related
- RPA: Election Countermanding in Tamilnadu
- Q1-2016: State Election result
- Election: Misc. developments
- #2: Parliament related
- Parliament misbehavior
- Computerized drawing of Qs for Question hour?
- Double dissolution in Australian Parliament
- Parliament: Misc. Developments
- #3: Judiciary related
- #4: Education related
- NEET ordinance aka CSAT dhamaal v2.0
- TSR Subramanian committee- New Education Policy
- #5: Rights issues
- Divyang Department
- Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan: PH-friendly environment
- Jat Quota Stayed
- #6: Schemes in News
- #7: Appointments
- Just compilation of polity related current affairs / GK titbits from May 2016. Mostly from Indianexpress, since theHindu has gone crazier than usual with its non-exam oriented coverage.
#1: Election Related
RPA: Election Countermanding in Tamilnadu
Relevance: General Studies Mains Paper-2
- EC has cancelled the assembly polls in Araykurichi and Thanjavur Constituency of Tamilnadu, due to widespread use of money, liquor, petrol-cards, gift cards and milk-tokens by candidates to win votes.
- TN Governor displeased that he was not consulted.
- But under RPA act, EC is empowered to cancel/countermand polling in case of bribery, muscle power, booth rigging etc. malpractices.
- Election commission doesnâ€™t need to consult/seek permission from governor or any other authority in such cases.
Q1-2016: State Election result
|West Bengal||Kesari Nath Tripathi||TMC, West Bengal. CM Mamta Benerjee.|
|Tamilandu||K.Rosaiah||AIADMK, CM Jaya Lalithaa|
|Assam||Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya,||
|Puducherry||Lt. Governor Kiran Bedi||
Election: Misc. developments
|Right to contest election||
#2: Parliament related
|Term||Meaning||Lok Sabha Rule||Rajya Sabha Rule|
Computerized drawing of Qs for Question hour?
- Starred question in Parliament: Minister has to reply during question hour.
- Unstarrred question: written reply given.
- TMC MP allege that present manual system is bad, because some MPs are getting more chances to ask question. So he has demanded computerized system to decide which MP gets to ask questions.
Double dissolution in Australian Parliament
|Lok Sabha||House of representatives|
|Rajya Sabha is permanent house. It canâ€™t be dissolved. Only Lok Sabha can be dissolved.||
Parliament: Misc. Developments
|Geospatial information regulation bill||
|Giani Zail Singh||
|Parliamentary panels/ committees||
#3: Judiciary related
- Indian Extradition Act 1962 governs the norms.
- India can request extradition from any country. But other country can (1) consider it on priority basis, if theyâ€™ve signed extradition treaty with us (2) if no treaty, they may consider it as per their own domestic laws.
- India has extradition treaty with 39 countries. Oldest with Chile, before independence.
- Deportation is police process, where accused has no chance of hearing in foreign country.
- Extradition is Judicial process, where accused gets hearing.
- Weâ€™ve signed treaty with UK as well, but they say they canâ€™t â€œdeportâ€ Vijay Mallya, only consider an application for his â€˜extraditionâ€
#4: Education related
NEET ordinance aka CSAT dhamaal v2.0
- Till now, 15% of all medical seats are reserved for AIPMT entrance (as per SC order in the 80s). Only Indian citizens, NRIs and OCI card-walla can appear.
- 2010: MCI decides to have National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) for all India admission in medical and dental collegesâ€™ undergraduate seats. Notification issued in 2013.
- 2013: SC stops NEET.
- 2016: SC orders NEET as the single test for admission in all public and private colleges for MBBS and BDS. Retd. CJI R.M.Lodha panel will monitor the implementation.
- 2016, May-1: NEET-1 held.
- 2016, July-24: Those who were unprepared for NEET-I, will be given chance to sit in NEET-II.
- Students and Parents from non-CBSE / Non-English medium boards are unhappy because of tough nature of NEET exam. They asked state governments to conduct another exam OR delay NEET by one year.
- But Education is in concurrent list under Art.254. SC says State is empowered to regulate admission and fees. But if union issues a notification (e.g.NEET) then states canâ€™t have their separate admission tests.
- Ultimately, Union Government issued ordinance, with following provisions
For all the Government seats in Government and private colleges
|Management quota||beyond purview of NEET and presidential ordinance.|
Sidenote: Pak-Hindu girl Mashal Maheswari had secured 91% in CBSE exam but she couldnâ€™t sit in the AIPMT because she didnâ€™t have NRI or OCI card. But Shushma Swaraj helped her get admission in Karnataka Medical college.
TSR Subramanian committee- New Education Policy
- TSR Subramanian is former cabinet Secretary (IAS), earlier associated with Green law review panel.
- He Has submitted report on â€œNew Education Policyâ€ to HRD ministry, with following recommendations:
- Replace 1986â€™s education policy, with new policy.
- Create a new all India service- Indian Education services- similar to IAS, IPS and IFS (Forest)
- Revamp UGC, AICTE and National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) ; allow foreign universities
- Continue three-language formula in schools.
- under the present Right to Education Act, no kid failed till class-8 so they take studies in very casual manner. TSR recommended- fail kids after class-5. but give him 3 attempts within a year to clear exam.
- Use â€˜Digital Indiaâ€™ initiative to track all school students, teachers and learning outcomes
|Mother tongue||RSS demanding that Goa government must stop funding English medium schools- otherwise Konkani language will be eroded.|
#5: Divyang Department
- This is the new official word for physically disabled people, coined by Modi in December 2015â€™s Mann ki baat. Afterwards, Railway budget used this word in offical document.
- Now Min. of Social justice and empowermentâ€™s department for disabled is renamed into â€œDivyang Shasaktikaran Vibhagâ€.
Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan: PH-friendly environment
- Gist: PH-friendly buildings, Softwares and public transport system.
- To create universal accessibility for Persons with Disabilities.
- By Divyang Department under Min. of Social justice and Empowerment.
- CSR funds can be utilized.
- Public-private organizations get â€œstarsâ€ similar to energy rating stars, for making Ph-friendly environment.
Jat Quota Stayed
- Based on Justice K C Gupta commission report, Haryana Government brought Haryana Backward classes Act
- It created new reservation category named â€œBackward Classes Block â€˜Câ€™.
- Six castes included in it- Jats, Jat Sikhs, Rors, Bishnois, Tyagis and Muslim Jats
- They were given 10% quota in government jobs and educational institutions, and 6 per cent in Class I and II posts,
- Highcourt has stayed this provision.
Jat Quota: Prakash Singh Committee
- Prakash Singh is retired DGP of Uttar Pradesh.
- Haryana government formed a Committee under his chairmanship to probe police negligence in Jat reservation Stir.
- He blamed 90 police officials for dereliction of duty, and institutional decay in police administration.
|SC Judges in SC||CJI K.G. Balakrishnan was the last dalit judge in Supreme court. Since last 6 years, there is no SC judge in SC.|
|Draft Women Policy||
Gram Uday se Bharat Uday
- 11 day long village self-governance campaign.
- Start:14 April 2016; 125th Bâ€™day of Dr.Ambedkar, his birthplace Mhow (kalipaltan) MP
- End: 24 April 2016: Panchayati raj diwas @Jamshedpur.
- Focus: oath of tolerance and harmony;
- Strengthening tribal development and Panchayati raj institutions esp. in 5th Sch. Areas of 10 states.
- Rural development, various schemes for farmerâ€™s welfare, and livelihood of the poor.
- Village farmersâ€™ assemblies to promote agri.; government will inform they about Fasal Bima Yojna, Social Health Card etc.
|PM Ujjwala Yojana||
|26th May 2016||
Upcoming Article: Environment and Science-Tech developments in May-2016