[ML16] Mains Revision & Answer Writing: GSM3-Agriculture: GM-Mustard, Pulses-PPP; Budgeting-advancing date & year, merging plan & non-plan, Rail & GeneralDEVENDRA VISHWAKARMA
- GSM3/Agri: Pulses inflation: Arvind Subramanian report, PPP procurement, higher MSP, DBT?
- GSM3/Agri: GM Mustard, DMH-11 Hybrid should we adopt in India?
- GSM3/Budgeting: Why Plan-Non plan merger? Is Revenue-Capital sufficient?
- GSM3/Budgeting: Why Budget advanced to 1st February? Merits, Rationale, Summary
- GSM3/Budgeting: Why change Financial Year of India instead of 1st April-31st March?
- Continuing the mains revision and answer writing for selected topics. We were done with GSM2 in the last round, now moving to paper-3.
- Following two syllabus topics, we shall focus:
- Farm subsidies and MSP and issues therein (direct and indirect). Two questions in were asked from this syllabus topic in 2013, one question in 2014, no question has been asked in 2015 from this topic.
- Government Budgeting. Three questions were asked from this topic in in 2013, one question in 2015, no question in 2014.
GSM3/Agri: Pulses inflation: Arvind Subramanian report, PPP procurement, higher MSP, DBT?
Q. Why are we unable to control skyrocketing prices of pulses in domestic market? Suggest remedies.
हम घरेलू बाज़ार में दालो के आसमान छुते दामो को क्यों काबू में नहीं कर पा रहे? उपाय बतायें.
As such, we had covered pulses and other ‘how to grow more from less’ during budget and economic survey lecture series before prelims-2016. but UNGA declared 2016 as international year of pulses and CEA’s report came on how to boost pulses cultivation via MSP and other measures. So we’ve to prepare.
As Marie Antoinette suggested hungry bread seekers to eat cake, certain liberal-intellectual-Jholachhap columnist in English newspapers are indirectly hinting that if vegetarians were to starts eating fish, meat and eggs then the demand and inflation in pulses could be controlled. How far is this logic valid? What does Arvind Subramanian have to say on this matter? Find out in the video!
Youtube Link: http://youtu.be/-cLk2ZkoyZM
GSM3/Agri: GM Mustard, DMH-11 Hybrid should we adopt in India?
Q. Explain GM mustard? Should we adopt its DMH-11 variety developed by DU scientists?
जीएम-सरसों का मतलब समझायिए. क्या दिल्ली यूनिवर्सिटी के वैज्ञानिकों द्वारा विकसित की गई इसकी DMH-११ को हमें अपना लेना चाहिए?
GEAC subcommittee has given thumbs up to commercial cultivation of the hybrid variety of GM-mustard. But, why do TheHindu columnists refute it? Is GM-Mustard safe for human and animal consumption? Will it endanger our biodiversity and environment? Does it have higher yield and pest-resistance than traditional mustard? Can Rajesh Khanna, Shahrukh Khan and Anushka Sharma safely dance in the GM-sarsaun ka khet without dying of cancer during the climax?
Youtube Link: http://youtu.be/l0kyVeDFylk
GSM3/Budgeting: Why Plan-Non plan merger? Is Revenue-Capital sufficient?
Q. Examine the rationale behind merger of plan and non-plan expenditure in general budget. Do you think Revenue vs Capital classification is sufficient for budgeting purpose?
सामान्य बजट में प्लान और नॉन-प्लान खर्च को एकीकृत करने के निर्णय के पीछे के तर्क की समालोचनात्मक समीक्षा कीजिए. क्या आपको लगता है की राजस्व बनाम पूंजी वर्गीकरण बजट निर्माण के लिए पर्याप्त है?
Why do some economists look down upon the plan-non plan classification of Expenditure as a ‘relic’ of past. Why do state governments hate plan-nonplan classfication? Can we maintain same level of accountability, monitoring and transparency in the western style “Revenue-capital” classification?
Relevance- UPSC Mains GS Paper-3 Syllabus topic: : Government Budgeting. Three questions in 2013, one question in 2015, no question in 2014.
Youtube Link: http://youtu.be/4A8Wis0awp0
GSM3/Budgeting: Why Budget advanced to 1st February? Merits, Rationale, Summary
Q. Why has Union govt advanced the date of presentation of AFS to 1st Feb? Discuss.
केंद्र सरकार ने वार्षिक वित्त-विवरण को प्रस्तुत करने की तारीख को आगे बढाकर १ फरवरी पर क्यों तय की है? चर्चा कीजिए.