[Environment] Solar Cooperative Farms, Occupational Diseases, Earth Wobbling, Bangladeshi Wheat Blast & MoreDevendra Vishwakarma
- Clean Energy related
- Energy: Solar cooperative farms
- Energy: Hydel
- Agriculture and Food
- Bread Carcinogens
- Wheat Blast
- Flora Fauna
- Marine Biodiversity
- Earth, Climate Change, Disasters
- Mains GS3: Pollution
- Salt Pan workers &Law commission
- Silicosis and Supreme Court
- Science Technology
- Resuable space shuttle
- Atomic Force Microscope
- In the previous part, we saw polity related current affairs from May-2016.
- This part contains Environment and science technology related current affairs from May-2016.
Clean Energy Related
Energy: Solar cooperative farms
- SPICE: Solar Pump irrigator cooperative enterprise
- Farmers in Dhundi village of Kheda district of Gujarat, have started SPICE- solar cooperative, wherein they install solar irrigation pump in their farm with state government subsidy.
- Excess electricity is sold off to Madhya Gujarat Vij Ltd. For Rs. 4.63 /unit. For 25 years’ contract.
- Company can also sell off renewable energy certificates (REC) based on this purchase.
- A farmer with 1 ht. land can hope to earn Rs.60,000/- per year from selling excess solar electricity.
- Farmer can also cultivate cash crops like spinach, carrot, garlic, beet and medicinal plants in the shadow below the solar panels. Thus optimal landuse.
|Athirapally Hydel project||
|Ujala LED scheme||
|Energy Bank||India Nepal are planning to setup energy bank to help each other during power shortage issues.|
Agriculture and Food
- Potassium bromate (KBrO3):- oxidizing agent, used in flour treatment to make bread white, fluffy, soft and elastic. Causes cancer.
- Potassium iodate (KIO3):– flour treatment agent, causes thyroid disorders.
- Many 1st world countries prohibit use of these chemicals in bread.
- But Centre for science and environment (CSE) has found these chemicals in major bread/pizza/burger brands of India.
Wheat Blast- Bangladeshi worry, Indian neednot
- Fungal disease originated from Brazil. It affects heads of the wheat stalk, and difficult to be treated by fungicides.
- Widespread in Bangladesh after they imported wheat seeds from Brazil without proper quality check.
- Bangladesh Government advised farmers to burn down the crop, and not to sow seeds from infected plots.
- India need not worry since our wheat harvest season mostly over, so less chances of disease spread.
|GM compulsory licensing||
|Black necked crane||
|Man eater lions||
|Spirit of Freedom||
El-Nino & Coral Bleaching
- New study says El Nino→ hot water→ more stress on corals, ultimately they become white and vulnerable to diseases. 30% of Great barrier reef’s coral destroyed by Coral bleaching.
- Corollary to that, Hurricane/storms → cold water → less stress on corals
- For more about Coral bleaching- watch Rajtanil’s lecture G5/P2
Palau Jellyfish Lake
- It’s a group of islands in W.Pacific ocean. They’re part of UNESCO world heritage site.
- Earlier tourist attraction for “Jellyfish lake” for presence of Golden jellyfish which don’t sting, so you can swim without worry.
- But suddenly all jellyfish gone! Researcher blame it to climate change → Less rain → lake became more salty → uninhabitable for this particular species of jellyfish.
Wetland draft rules
- Government has sought public comments on new draft rules 2016 for Wetland conversation. They’ll replace 2010’s old rules.
- India has 26 of the total 169 Ramsar wetland sites. Ramsar agreement was signed in 1971 in Iran’s Ramsar.
- Notable wetlands in India: Wular Lake-Jammu Kashmir, Ashtamudi- Kerala, Deepor Beel- Assam and Nal Sarovar- Gujarat.
- More you can read in Indianexpress Q&A series (although as such no point, because these are still ‘draft’ rule. After they’re officially publish, you should worry.)
Earth, Climate Change, Disasters
|29th May||Everest Day|
|Cyclone Roanu||Hit Bangladesh’s southern coast. >20 killed, >5 lakh evacuated.|
|Drought||13 states and 25% population of India is affected by drought but inter-linking of rivers can solve the problem, says Rural development minister in parliament.|
Mains GS3: Pollution
Salt Pan workers &Law commission
Salt Production World Ranking: USA > China > India. And within India- Gujarat> TN> Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh
|Skin ulcer/chronic dermatitis||
|Pterygia- loss of vision||
- Topic in news: because Gujarat State law commission chief Justice MB Shah (SC-Black money SIT fame) took suo-moto notice and criticized government for violation of Art. 21 and Art. 42.
- Ultimately, 1st May (International Labour day), Government of Gujarat initiated some reforms.
Silicosis and Supreme Court
- Silicosis is an occupational disease in quartz and stone crushing industries.
- Inhaled silica crystals scar your lunch tissues, breathing becomes difficult. There is no cure for it.
- SC orders Gujarat government to pay Rs.7 crore compensation to Silicosis victims in Godhara. Most of them poor migrants from Madhya Pradesh.
- SC also issued bailable warrant against chief of Central pollution control board in this case.
|Most polluted city||