[Download] Political Science & IR Mains 2013 Paper 1 & Paper 2 for UPSC Civil Service IAS IPS Exam Optional Subject PaperDevendra Vishwakarma
- Political Science Paper 1 Section A
- Political Science Paper I Section B
- Political Science Paper II: Section-A
- Political Science Paper 2: Section-B
- In paper I, they’ve not mentioned wordlimit for each question, but in paper II: 15 marks = 200 words and 20 marks=also 200 words.
- skeleton remains same as earlier: two sections, attempt five out of eight questions, question #1 and #5 compulsory
- And out of the remaining, any three are to be attempted choosing at least ONE from each section.
- 250 marks, 3 hours for each paper.
Political Science Paper 1 Section A
Q.1 Comment on the following in approximately 150 words each, 10 marks each
- “Personal is political”
- “Original position”
- “Covenants without swords are but words, and of no strength to secure a man at all.”
- Sri Aurobindo’s “idea of freedom”
- Sri Ahmed Khan as modernizer
- Discuss the communitarian critique of liberalism. 20
- Examine Ambedkar’s critique of Marxism. 15
- Explain, as per Gramsci, the distinction between hegemony and domination. 15
- Analyze the relationship between natural rights and human rights. 20
- Examine the significance of Dharma in Ancient Indian political thought. 15
- Discuss in what sense Max’s understanding of state can be considered as materialistic. 15
- Explain Berlin’s notion of value pluralism. 20
- Analyse,as per Kautilya,the Saptanga theory of the state. 15
- Comment on the Assertion of Laslett that Filmer and not Hobbes was the main antagonist of Locke. 15
Political Science Paper I Section B
Q.5 Comment on the following in approximately 150 words each, 10 marks each
- Marxist understanding of India’s freedom movement
- Significance of the Preamble
- Decline of Indian Parliament
- Gandhian perspective of development and its contemporary relevance.
- Compare and contrast Chipko Movement with Narmada Bachao Andolan.
- Explain the phenomenon of ethnic politics in India in recent times.
- Analyse the significance of Article 32 of the Indian Constitution.
- Examine the role of Supreme Court as the final interpreter of the Indian Constitution.
- “Cooperative federalism produces a strong central, or general government, yet it does not necessarily result in weak provincial governments that are largely administrative agencies for central policies. Indian federation has demonstrated this.”(Granville Austin) Examine the uniqueness of Indian federalism in the light of the above statement. 20m
- Explain to what extent the concept of “one-party dominance”(W.H.Morris-Jones)model is relevant in Indian policy today. 20m
- Analyze the position of the Prime Minister of India in a coalition regime. 20m
- Examine the significance of the verdicts of the Supreme Court in the Golaknath and Keshavananda Bharati cases for an understanding of the scope of Article 368 in regard to Fundamental Rights.
- Point out and comment on the historic importance of the document “Towards Equality(1974),for women’s movement in India.”
- Examine the changing structure of Panchayati Raj instituions with special reference to the 73rd Constituiton Amendment Act.
Political Science Paper II: Section-A
Q1. Answer the following questions in about 150 words each x 10 mark each
- Identify the elements of change in India’s foreign policy.
- Sketch the leadership role of India in WTO negotiations.
- Examine the recent developments in India-Japan relationship.
- Bring out the objectives of India seeking permanent seat in Security Council
- Is India’s Nuclear doctrine a viable one?
Q2 Answer the following questions in about 200 words each (20+15+15=50m)
- Compare and contrast social movements in advanced industrial and developing societies.
- Give reasons for Regionalism of world politics.
- Compare and Contrast Sin-India approaches to global Environmental concerns.
Q3 Answer the following questions in about 200 words each (20+15+15=50m)
- What roles do norms, taboos and epistemic play in the context of nuclear proliferation?
- Substitantiate APEC as a regional economic and trade arrangement.
- Identify the major changes in the International Political economy in post Cold War period.
Q4 Answer the following questions in about 200 words each (20+15+15=50m)
- Is the rise of social movement a sign of opening up of popular space in political process or decline of representative politics?Examine.
- Highlight the major features of Non-alignment 2.0 document
- Identify the role and place of Gender in the global economy.
Political Science Paper 2: Section-B
Q5. Answer the following questions in about 150 words each x 10 marks each
- Identify the challenges to American hegemony in post Soviet world.
- What does the pace of nuclear proliferation in post Cold War suggest?
- State the place of Gender Justice in global agenda.
- “Global commons belong to global society and requires global attention”.Comment.
- Sketch the journey of global political economy from Washington consensus to the present.
Q6. Answer the following questions in about 200 words each (20+15+15=50m)
- Examine major principles of State centric world views.
- How does Marxist approcah explain contemporary International Relations?
- ‘National Interests are Dynamic’. Identify the dynamic nature of National Interests in the contemporary world polities with suitable examples.
Q7. Answer the following questions in about 200 words each (20+15+15=50m)
- ‘The economic content of India’s foreign trade is increasingly growing’. Substantiate the statement with economic diplomatic engagements of India in the last decade.
- Write a note on Intellectual precursors of Realism.
- ‘Building ‘peace by pieces’ is the basis of functionalism’. Elaborate.
Q8 Answer the following questions in about 250 words each (20+15+15=50m)
- ‘Transnational actors have become driving forces of global politics’. Elaborate.
- ‘A minimal State ensures maximum of Individual Liberty’. Examine the concept of Minimal State.
- ‘Collective Security and Collective Defense are the institutional and State mechanism to sustain the domination of powers that be in International politics’. Elaborate.
Click me for Last 34 years’ question papers and IGNOU material for political science.