[Diplomacy] Nepal Logjam (Part 2 of 3): Merger of Maoists with Army, Anti-India Campaign, Why Elections are not heldDevendra Vishwakarma
- Rehab of Maoist Combatants
- Problem areas in Maoist Army merger
- Maoist MNREGA scam
- Trouble in Cantonment
- Power struggle within Maoist Party
- Kiran’s makes new Party
- Against Prachanda
- Against Baburam Bhattarai
- People’s Constitution
- Against India
- Anti-India stand of Maoists
- Babu vs Prachanda @RIO+20
- Crisis: May 2012
- Why Election not held?
- Baburam’s next move
Nepal logjam is a three part article series. Make sure you’ve read previous parts, before proceeding further.
|1 of 3||
|3 of 3||
Rehab of Nepal Maoists
- After the ceasefire and peace accord, around 20,000 Maoist combatants had been living in the temporary Cantonments. (many of them are child-soldiers).
- they have deposited their weapons to UN-supervised containers.
- 6500 of them were to be absorbed in army. (disregarding educational/age requirements).
- Rest of the Maoist combatants were promised a financial package of 5 to 8 lakh Nepali rupees, each. So they can go back to their village/families and start their lives again with business, farming whatever.
- But then Prachanda and Baburam started demading, “we want 9000 Maoist combatants to be inducted in army.”
- The Army was against this move, fearing such large influx of Maoists inside army, will break its politically neutral character. (+most of them were not meeting the have the age/educational/physical std. criteria.)
Problem: Nepal Maoist vs Army merger
- While Prachanda demands 9000 Maoists to be recruited in Army but the Ground reality= barely 3000 Maoist rebels actually wanted to join the army.
- Rest of them are uncomfortable working with their former enemy (army), with whom they had fought for more than 10 years.
- Most of them are tired of the “revolution”, they prefer to accept cash, go back home, enjoy family life.
- Most of them are not comfortable with the rigorous training and discipline of regular army.
- Some of the senior Maoist rebels, want to be absorbed as Colonel, Brigadier and other higher posts.
- But in most cases, Army is reluctant to give them such higher ranks, given their old age and low education.
- At the end of 2012, barely 1500 Maoists joined the army.
- Others accepted ca$h, deposited weapons and left for home.
Maoist MNREGA scam
- In the Indian villages, Sarpanch and Patwaari create fake-job cards and withdraw MNREGA money.
- In Nepal, the Maoists had submitted their weapons to UN-Containers and they were living in temporary cantonments.
- They were given food, ration and salary according to their ranks. (This money was from aid given by UN, EU, Germany etc. donors).
- Problem: Many of the Maoists left the camp. Yet money is withdrawn in their name.
- Similarly fake id cards were created and money was siphoned off in ghost accounts.
- The “CAG” of Nepal says “total 1.5 billion Nepali rupees have been paid to “fake combatants” as monthly salary and food allowance by the Government!”
- Prachanda and his favored Maoist commanders are running this “Maoist-MNREGA”scam.
- Prachanda has made truckload of cash out of this game, bought expensive watches, , race-horses, SUV cars, luxury apartments, iphone5 etc.etc.etc.
- This has created deep resentment and internal fighting among the Maoist rank and file.
Trouble in Cantonment
- In several camps, the Maoist combatants started rioting, saying that Pro-Prachanda commanders are making truckload of cash through fake-ID cards (“Maoist-MNREGA”scam.).
- Prime Minister Bhattarai (of Maoist party) had to call in army to stop these riots.
- These has further increased the bitterness among Maoist-cadres, because Bhattarai called up their old enemy (army) for help!
- After this incident, Prachanda had to install metal-detectors at his home, because those angry rebels planning to attack him!
Power struggle within Maoist Party
The hierarchy of Maoist party is like this:
- Prachanda @Top.
- Mohan Baidya Kiran + Baburam Bhattarai (Present Prime Minister) as second in line.
Babu is like our Mohan. He doesn’t have many “supporters” in the party. (or perhaps that’s the reason Prachanda made him PM!)
Kiran on the other hand, has sizable following in the Maoist-party. Both hate eachother.
|Mohan Baidya Kiran||You’ve made Bhattarai the Prime minister . He is making truckload of ca$h, I hate him.|
|Prachanda||Ya but he is more “acceptable” to international players, including India and USA. So let him stay there for a while.|
|Baidya||Whatever dude. Just tell me what’s your next plan.|
|Kiran||Then you leave me no choice.
I’ll make my own new party.
Kiran’s makes new Party
- Many of Maoist cadres and mid-level leaders, are also disillusioned with Prachanda and Baburam, particularly because they are making truckload of cash via corruption (including Maoist MNREGA).
- So, when Kiran left the party, around 1/3rd of cadres from Prachanda’s original Maoist party also joined Kiran’s party.