[Diplomacy] Israel, Palestine, Hamas, Gaza-strip, West Bank, PLO: Conflict, Origin, ExplainedDevendra Vishwakarma
To understand the Israel-Hamas conflict, we must start from the very beginning- the factors that led to creation of Israel and the current disputes.
- Geography: Israel Palestine, Gaza
- What is imperialism?
- Why imperialism and colonialism?
- Rise of Germany
- First World War and Palestine
- The Treaty of Versallies (1919)
- Rise of Hitler
- Nazism, Eugenics, Jews
- Eugenics, Jews
- What is Anti-Semitism?
- What is Zionism?
- World War II and Zionism
- Arab Nations
- End of World War II, 1945
- UN resolution on Palestine
- Birth of Israel, 1948
- West Bank
- Gaza Strip and Palestinian Refugees
- Yasser Arafat and PLO, 1964
- Hamas, 1987
- Oslo Accords, 1993
- Palestine Authority (PA)
- Gaza Blockade, 2007
- Mavi Marmara incident, 2010
- Gilad Shalit
- Summary of the issue
Geography: Israel, Palestine, Gaza
Any discussion on this topic is useless, unless and until you know the map of region like the back of your hand.
|Palestine||A patch of land between Israel and Jordan.|
|Jerusalem||City located within Palestine region, it is the sacred place for Christians, Muslims and Jews.Jerusalem is the Capital of Israel, (although not recognized by some countries).|
|Tel Aviv||Second largest city after Jerusalem.|
|Knesset||Name of Israel’s parliament.|
|Mossad||Spy agency of Israel. Just like CIA of USA.|
What is imperialism?
- When a country establishes its economic and political dominance over other nations- it is known as imperialism.
- There are many ways to achieve imperialism: one of them is colonialism- that is what Britishers did in India and Africa. Colonialism means practice of acquiring colonies by conquest (war) or purchase or any other thuggery and making them dependent on your home country (UK).
- After end of Second World War, most of the colonies achieved independence. But nowadays the powerful nations such as US and China, colonize poor countries via providing financial aids, weapons to kill opposing sects/tribes, installing puppet regime etc. this is known as Neo-Colonialism.
Why imperialism and colonialism?
- For getting free labourers to work cotton gins. (slave trade)
- To establish monopoly of trade over with given country (e.g. India’s silk and spices)
- The Industrial Revolution led to factories, mass production but still you needed raw material. Colonies supplied that raw material (cotton, coal, iron ore and other minerals).
- Colonies also gave new customers for your finished factorymade products. (because local handicraft artisan get destroyed due to heavy taxation, so juntaa has no option other than buying your machine and products.)
Rise of Germany
- Between 1800 and 1900, majority of Asia and Africa had been colonized. Britain and France were main players here.
- Earlier, Germany was made up of small princely states. It was Otto von Bismarck, who unified them and created the modern German empire. Our Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel is often called “Bismarck of India” for this reason.
- But the challenges that Sardar Patel faced, were tougher, both in size and complexity than of Bismarck’s.
- Anyways, after the unification, Germany transformed into an economic powerhouse.
- By 1914, Germany’s iron ore, steel production =higher than France + Germany. Germany had entered the shipping trade in a big way. Similarly Italy too was rising.
- France and Britain didn’t like it- not one bit.
- For them, Germany = A serious economic threat to their status and their colonies.
- USA had not yet become supercop, superpower of the world. On July 4, 1776, it declared independence from Britain. But the Northern and Southern States of USA, had opposing idea about abolition of black slavery. That led to their internal Civil War from 1861 to 1865. So, USA was busy with its domestic troubles.
First World War and Palestine
- The superficial reason for First World War (1914-1918) = Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, but actually it was this rivalry between nations for economic reasons and control over colonies. The world was divided into two gangs
|Allied power (won)||Central Powers (lost)|
- Prior to First World war, the Jerusalem and surrounding Palestine region was under the control of Ottoman Turks.
- But as you can see from above table, they had sided with Central Powers (Germany) in First World War.
- During the course of First world war, British army captured Jerusalem and put this Palestine region under military administration.
- This created resentment among the Native Arabs residing in Palestine. Especially after the Jewish people started immigrating here, due to the oppression by Hitler.
The Treaty of Versailles (1919)
After the war, the Allied nations held a conference in Versailles, near Paris in France.