[Diplomacy] ADDU declaration in SAARC SummitDevendra Vishwakarma
- What is SAARC?
- Who’re SAARC Members?
- What is ADDU declaration?
- SAFTA Investment Trade fair
- Railway Boat Climate
- Food security Terrorism Crime Piracy
- Women Education Media
- Mock Question
What is SAARC?
- South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)
- SAARC was established in 1985
- Its headquarter is in Kathmandu, Nepal.
|8 Members||9 Observors|
It seems United States is an observer in pretty much every organization, but do you recall any organization(s), where USA is not a observer?
What is ADDU declaration?
- Addu is the second largest city of Mamldives (capital is Male), where 17th SAARC conference was held. (September 2011)
- Theme of this Addu summit : Building Bridges.
- The leaders of SAARC Nations, issued a 20-points declaration here, which is known as “Addu Declaration”.
- By the way, the 18th Summit will be held in Kathmandu, Nepal in 2013.
In short, Addu declaration means
“We (the SAARC leaders) will do this, this and this- total 20 things”
Out of the 20 points of ADDU declaration, Here are the important (and easy to remember) points.
- South Asian Free Trade Area or SAFTA is an agreement reached at the 12th SAARC summit in Islamabad, Pakistan .
- SAFTA is to reduce customs duties of all traded goods to zero by the year 2016.
- ADDU says we’ll intensify efforts to fully and effectively implement SAFTA
- SAARC Finance Ministers will work for greater flow of financial capital and intra-regional long-term investment.
- To hold the Twelfth SAARC Trade Fair + SAARC Travel and Tourism Fair in Kulhudhuffushi, Maldives in 2012.
- Try for Regional Railways Agreement
- Should do a demonstration run of a container train (Bangladesh – India – Nepal).
- work on the Indian Ocean Cargo and Passenger Ferry Service
- this will revolutionise movement of people and goods within the region.
- timely implementation of the Thimphu Statement on Climate Change.
- Energy Cooperation and the Study on the Regional Power Exchange Concept as also the work related to SAARC Market for Electricity.
- appropriate percentage of national income should go towards the respective countries’ renewable energy investments
- We’ll work on SAARC Food Bank.
- This Food Bank will supplement national efforts to provide food security to the people of the region.
- We’ll root out terrorism, taking into account its linkages with illegal trafficking in narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and small arms
- Make coordinated and concerted efforts to combat terrorism [good joke, given that Pakistan is also in SAARC]
- We’ll Ratify of the SAARC Convention on Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters.
- We’ll Cooperate to combat maritime piracy in the region.
- We’ll strive for empowerment of women and gender equality in the region
- We’ll work on the Convention on Preventing and Combating Trafficking in Women and Children for Prostitution
- We’ll give mutual recognition of academic and professional degrees. [So, IIPM degree, which is not recognized by UGC, will it be recognized in Pakistan, perhaps!?]
- We’ll establish long-term linkages among universities, research institutions and think-tanks in the region.
- We’ll convene a Regional Conference on Media to consider deepening collaboration in the region.
- We’ll decide which day to celebrate as SAARC Media day.
Which of the following statements are true?
- Addu is the capital of Maldives.
- SAARC has 7 members.
- All the countries sharing physical borders with India, except China, are members of SAARC.
- Secretariat of SAARC is in Thimpu.
- Only one member of SAARC is an island nation.
- SAARC summit of 2013 will be held in New Delhi.
- Addu Declaration (2 marker, 20 words)
- Write a note on Addu declaration (12 marks, 120 words)