[Current] Sept-2016: Environment, Agriculture, Space, Public Healthcare, ICT: Scramjet, SCATSAT, 3DR; Kibali Summit & MoreDevendra Vishwakarma
- Environment & Agriculture: Sept-2016
- Ratification of Paris Summit
- Kigali summit and HFCs
- Env: Disasters and Typhoons
- Env: Pollution & Energy
- Env: Flora-Fauna
- Public Healthcare: Sept-2016
- Mosquito & Fever related
- Genetics related
- Innovation and Research
- Yearbook type
- Space-Tech: Sept-2016
- Mobile & IT: Sept-2016
September 2016: Current affairs development in environment, medicine, IT and space tech. (Defense I’ll combine with diplomacy).
You should update my old PowerPoints with following two new developments on treaties/summits.
Treaty#1: Ratification of Paris Summit
- UNFCCC- Conference of parties (COP21) was held @Paris, France.
- COP22 will be held @Marrakesh (Morocco) on 7th November 2016.
- In G20 summit @Hangzhou (China), India stalled any ratification, but later on made haste because
- USA and China already ratified Paris deal in 2016, Sept.
- if EU/Japan/Russia ratified before India, they’ll dominate over the nitty-gritty and implementation of the Paris Deal.
- So, India became 62nd country to ratify @2nd Oct, 2016.
- For more details on Paris summit & Ratification process: see this lecture.
Treaty#2: Kigali summit and HFCs
- 1989: Montreal (Canada) protocol banned CFCs to prevent ozone depletion; hence companies started using HFCs in refrigerators and air-conditioning.
- Although Hydroflurocarbons (HFCs) don’t deplete ozone, they still contribute to greenhouse gas effect and global warming.
- 2016, Oct: Summit at Rwanada’s Kigali to phase out HFCs.
- More theory on Kyoto, Montreal and GHG gases: see this lecture
Env: Disasters and Typhoons
|Italy||Earthquake in Accumoli killed 120.|
|Myanmar||Earthquake in Bagan damaged ancient Buddhist pagodas.|
|Typhoon Lionrock||Affected Japan’s northern coast. It is the first typhoon to make landfall in this region since 1951.|
|Typhoon Meranti||Taiwan and China’s Fujian affected. Meranti is world’s strongest typhoon this year.|
Env: Pollution & Energy
No more Diesel cars from Renault
After Volkswagon emission mischief, EU tightening pollution-norms on Diesel vehicles. Renault decides to stop Diesel car sales, because it’s too expensive for Renault to comply with these norms.
|Boiling point: 40 to 205 Celsius||250-350|
|less||Emits more sulfur, nitrogen oxide, soot particles.|
Pollution: other developments
|Aviation Emission||India says no to proposal by ICAO to cut emission post-2020. Because Indian economy is growing, so obviously by 2020 the air-traffic will increase, compared to US/UK where it has ‘peaked’. (Recall Kuznets Curve.)|
|Vehicle scrapping||“Voluntary Vehicle fleet modernization program” policy (V-VMP)- it aims to scrap 15 years old vehicles to check on pollution. Government planning to start with heavy vehicles first.|
|Apes||Four apes in critically endangered species
Two apes in endangered list
|Panda||ICUN reduced the danger level of Panda from “endangered” to “vulnerable” because their population has substantially increased.|
|Giraffe||After genetic analysis, Scientists concluded Giraffe is not one species but four species viz 1) Southern 2) Northern 3) Reticulated 4) Masai.|
|Longest glass bridge||
Public Healthcare: Sept-2016
Mosquito & Fever related
|Malaria-free||Sri Lanka becomes the 2nd country after Maldives to be declared Malaria-free by WHO.|
|Malaria Map||Researchers prepare Malaria map: the Malaria parasite has travelled with humans to continents. From India to Europe (4-5 Cent), then from Europe to America (when Columbus arrived).|
|Scrub Typhus or Bush Typush||
|Three parent baby||
Innovation and Research
|Glucometer for GS3||
|Baracktrema Obamai||New parasite discovered by Obama’s 5th cousin in USA.|