[Current Note] Jul-23-2015: Kharak Singh’s right to privacy, Lothal & Sagarmala, EPFO 75% Cap, PFRDA allows NRIs, ITBP Teaches Mandarin, MNRE gives solar-subsidy & MoreDevendra Vishwakarma
- Polity & Law
- Economy and infrastructure
- Science & Environment
- Person in News
- Mock Questions for Prelims
Polity & Law
- 1962: SC judgment in Kharak Singh case: privacy not a fundamental right. 2013: SC says Government can’t deny scheme-benefit to anyone if he/she doesn’t have Aadhar. Later PIL in SC: Aadhar is invasion of privacy, since it captures biometric details such as Iris scans, fingerprinting without authorization. Government says 5k crores spent, 80 crore people covered.
- Rajya Sabha select Committee approves most of the provisions of 122nd amendment bill (GST). Ignored because let the final bill pass.
- Delhi CM Kejriwal had appointed Swati Maliwal as chief of the Delhi Commission for Women (DCW). But now Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung wrote says under Article 239, Government means ‘Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, yet his approval is not sought for this appointment.
- National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB): highest number of suicide in 2014 (1) Maharashtra (2) Tamilnadu (3) W.Bengal. And in highest “Rise” #1 is W.Bengal.
- Under Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1960, Himachal Pradesh High Court bans all types of buffalo and bull fights in the hill State.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) says it’s empowered to take action on mere suspicion, without evidence. FSSAI took action against Maggie for 3 reasons (1) misleading labelling on MSG (monosodium-glutamate) (2) Excess lead (3) Launched Oats tastemaker without assessment.
- 1993 Mumbai Serial blasts-Yakub Abdul Razak Memon was given death sentence. He filed curative petition in SC, but SC rejected.
- India allows dual citizenship only for children born outside India. IFS Officer Devyani Khobragade’s 2 daughters born in India but she got’em American passport saying her husband is American citizen. 2013: She came under controversy for Visa fraud charges. 2015: She requests Government to give dual citizenship to her children. Home ministry denies.
Economy and infrastructure
- Prime Minister’s employment generation scheme is run by following (1) MSME ministry (2) Khadi and Village industries commission (3) via Make in India program. However, some bogus elements duping people with lure of jobs, hence Government issued ad for clarification.
- 1990-Ministry of Civil Supplies, Department of Legal Metrology- introduced maximum retail price (MRP) system on all packaged commodities, using the powers under Standards of Weights and Measures Act ‘1976. Benefits: Prevents tax evasion, Protects consumers from profiteering. Limitations ⇒ doesn’t apply to services ⇒ doesn’t apply to loose goods such as fruits/veggies. ⇒ even on goods retailer charge extra money for “Service” e.g. “cooling charge” on water bottle or buttermilk. ⇒ Sometimes MRP marked up so high & product then sold @discount, thus defeating purpose. ⇒ Archaic law = bribe seeking inspectors.
- 2015, March: Home ministry puts Ford foundation on watch list, after reports that it funded NGO Teesta Setalwad’s anti-India activities in Gujarat. 2015,July: Ford promises to register itself under Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), 1999 and requests Government to unblock funds so that salaries could be paid to India staff. Government agrees.
- The State Bank of India continued to give pensions to over 3,000 freedom fighters even after their death, causing loss of Rs.16 crore. Now Home ministry recovering money and handing over the operations to other public sector banks. It remains to be seen whether Rajanbhai takes some action against SBI or not.
- TRAI report says Vodafone, Idea, Reliance and Airtel not meeting service standards and causing call drops in Delhi and Mumbai
- Gujarat Government sends proposal for Union Government’s Sagarmala project (1) Piram Island in Gulf of Khambhat- a bunkering facility for ships (2) Lothal museum at GIFT city.
- Gold records lowest price in 5 years because (1) fear of US federal reserve increasing its interest rates (2) ETF investors and speculators selling their gold investments (3) Indians not buying that much gold because wedding season yet to come and monsoon has been poor.
- Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) permits Non-resident Indians (NRIs) to invest in National Pension System (NPS). RBI and Government will shortly update Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) guidelines to implement it. Benefits ⇒ especially Middle-East NRIs will get get a social security cover ⇒ 18 to 60 age group eligible ⇒ can’t open joint account. ⇒ can’t issue power of attorney. ⇒ can select fund manager and investment option, but have to submit KYC.
- Gujarat state Government planning an ordinance: if a elected local body member doesn’t vote in election without reason, then he’ll be disqualified.
- EPFO new norms for withdrawal ⇒ 75% of the amount can be withdrawn prematurely in case of unemployment. More details click me, if applying for APFC exam, otherwise ignore.
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force (ITBP) started coaching its troops for Mandarin and Tibetan language so that unnecessary fights can be avoided at border areas. Special cell created in ITBP’s Mussoorie academy.
- Defense ministry working on a new Defense procurement policy, under which a company alleged in corruption will have option to negotiation instead of getting blacklisted.
- Taliban and Afghani Government official working on a “peace deal”. Pakistan and China are ready to become ‘guarantors’.
Science & Environment
- Ministry of New and renewable energy (MNRE) issues advertisement for grid connected roof-top solar plants. If you install them @your premise, you get following benefits ⇒ 10 years tax holiday ⇒ relief in custom and excise duty ⇒ depreciation ⇒ 15% Government subsidy ⇒ Priority sector loan upto 10 lakh rupees for individuals.
- British Journal claims doctors should be prohibited from wearing white coats, since they even carry it to toilets, malls etc. capturing germs like “Staphylococcus aureus” and then spreading it to patients.
|Book||Saptarshi Sarkar’s new book: “Sourav Ganguly: Cricket, Captaincy and Controversy “|
|Movie||Famous French director Pascal Plisson made move about lives of 3 people- one of them is on Super 30 Mathematician Anand Kumar and his protégé Nidhi Jha, who cracked IIT-JEE (Advanced) in 2014.|
|Achievement||Nischal Narayanam (age 19) becomes the youngest Indian to clear Chartered Account exam. He hails from Telangana.|